700 (Armor: 500) (Secondary)
|Base Damage||12 (lunge)|
The Bone Hydra is what remains of the Lernaean Hydra, slain by the demi-god hero Herakles as part of his Twelve Labors. It now dwells in the fiery Phlegethon river that flows through Asphodel, and guards the passage to Elysium. It was the final boss of the game prior to Patch 018.
Combat[edit | edit source]
The Bone Hydra's attacks start off relatively simple and grow more complex as the fight goes on. It begins the fight with three abilities: lunging and biting, shooting a slow series of projectiles, and a ground-slam. At 75%, 50%, and 25% health, the Hydra retreats, becoming invulnerable and spawning increasing numbers of additional heads at fixed points around the edge of the arena. These additional heads have their own abilities and must be defeated before the main head will become vulnerable to attack again.
- 75%: Two heads. After this phase, the main head's slow projectile attack is replaced with a rapid volley of approximately 10 darts. It will still use the slow projectiles during invulnerable phases.
- 50%: Four heads. After this phase, the main head's will ground-slam three times instead of once.
- 25%: Six heads. There is no change after this phase.
Head types are as follows:
- Melee (White): Ground-slam similar to main head, but with smaller radius
- Ranged (Pink): Spits pools of lava on the ground
- Support (Green): Spits orbs with 50hp which spawn a Bloodless unless destroyed within 5 seconds
- Control (Red): Releases wave attacks in Zagreus's direction which deal 7 damage and push back on contact
Codex entry[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The orbs spawned by the support heads are referred to in the game files as "Hydra Teeth". This may be a reference to the "dragon's teeth" mentioned in the Argonautica, which sprung up into skeletal warriors when sown in the ground.
- The Hydra's full name was misspelled prior to the Good Times update, missing the first A out of Lernaean.