'...Born of Chaos, the Underworld is a domain of pure and utter darkness. Sometimes, this dark essence becomes manifest through all the raging of the dead, and all the strife that can unfold beneath the earth. And, there are those born of this realm who can absorb that essence, gaining oneness with the Underworld, growing stronger all the while. That darkness, having taken root within, connects the bearer to the Underworld, makes them inseparable. Almost one and the same. Those born of darkness must remain in darkness; this is one of the Underworld's indelible laws.'
Obtaining Darkness[edit | edit source]
- Darkness can be received as a room clear reward, as a reward for opening Infernal Troves, from the Fated List of Minor Prophecies, or in special deals with the Wretched Broker.
- When Heat is too low for Bounties, every boss defeated will drop a large amount of Darkness instead. The Furies drop 40 ; the Lernean Bone Hydra drops 60 ; the Elysian Heroes (Theseus and Asterius) drop 120 ; the Final Boss drops 250 .
- The Well of Charon sometimes sells the Tinge of Erebus (grants 12-26).
- Selecting a weapon with the Dark Thirst or Darker Thirst buff will increase the amount of Darkness gained in a run by 20%.
- Poseidon's boon Ocean's Bounty increases the amount of Darkness gained from all sources by 50-65%.
- Poseidon's boon Sunken Treasure drops 50-220 .
- Darkness can be obtained by turning in River Denizens caught in Chaos' Biome to the Head Chef in the lounge (see Fishing).
- With the Pitch-Black Darkness upgrade from the House Contractor, Darkness will also give +5 when collected from a room reward.
- Companion Shady drops 10 with each summon.
Using Darkness[edit | edit source]
Darkness is used for:
- Permanent talent upgrades at the Mirror of Night (35,365 for all red and green talents)
- Limited Time Offers with the Wretched Broker
- Nyx's favor (3,142 )
- Upgrading Zagreus' rank at the Resource Director (325,000 for all ranks)
- The Infinite Theme from the House Contractor (25,000 )